Friday, April 07, 2006

Chronicles of Narnia Movie

Okay, I think that I might be the only person in Christendom who isn't impressed with the movie. I think it was well enough made, but it wasn't "all that"! Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the movie (I saw it twice in the theater) but I walked away disappointed by the CGI during the combat sequences. Unfortunately, as one of only two really good epic Christian fiction/fantasy stories, we have to compare it to it's contemporary...Lord of The Rings. Oops!

While I felt that most of the CGI was well done, I can't help but feel that the combat scenes at the end were rushed and not very believable. The combat scenes from LoTR were fairly believable (understanding of course that Orcs and such don't really exist) and well integrated into the real world. The computer generated and the living world were messed so well in LoTR that it really raised the bar for all future CGI enhanced films. We have a higher standard and it will be hard to break if you are on a budget.

I understand, of course, that the producer of the movie isn't flush with money like Peter Jackson's production company is. Hopefully, the second Narnia movie will benefit from increased media exposure, that there will be sufficient money brought in from the profits from the first Narnia movie, and that Disney will infuse the production with lots of money and technical expertise. That should help it be a much better movie on par with the LoTR movies.

One can only hope. Until then, I will enjoy the DVD that my wife bought last night and continue treasuring the books and my overactive imagination.

Cheers

No comments: