Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Our Reasonable Service

What is our reasonable service? Is it merely supporting the programs that are available at our church? Is it simply giving 10% of our wealth? What is it, truly?

1. Supporting our church programs - a genuine necessity, to be certain. What is a reasonable amount of participation?
2. Tithe - do we give on our net or our gross earnings? Or, do I give based on the extra entitlements that I receive that are uniquely military in nature? Is it appropriate to give ten percent of our take home pay and ten percent of the income tax return? I realize that wars have been fought over lesser arguments, so I'm not trying to start a controversy. I'm just trying to understand what my reasonable service is.
3. Should we devote most of our "donated" time to our church or should we try to be salt and light to our community by volunteering at secular venues that don't run counter to the mores and values that Christians should espouse? One could easily make a case for both, I suppose.

These are just some of my struggles as of late. Feedback welcome but not mandatory.

No comments: