Thursday, May 18, 2006

LinuxJunior

I know that it has been some time since cloverm turned LinuxJunior over to peter. My biggest two reasons for waiting to post something are:

1. I wanted to wait until I had a better (emotional) handle on the change.
2. I wanted to wait and see how peter would handle things.

Well, I am done waiting and I now feel free to comment. I was (and am, to a degree) disappointed that cloverm turned over control of LinuxJunior. Several of us would have preferred that he ask one of us to take it over instead of peter (who is/was a stranger to us). People do not like change and this was a huge change. While I can't speak about why cloverm did it the way he did I have to believe that he had a good reason for doing so. It's much easier being the critic than it is being the criticized.

We are now using OpenFree.org instead of LinuxJunior.org. The interface is different and we don't quite have the same friendly banter that we used to have. Most of this can be attributed to the sudden demise of our beloved website. The character of it is definitely different, though only in subtle ways. Overall, it just feels different (hard to explain). It can be difficult to feel comfortable when you aren't used to something.

Emotions have caused several people to either stop using ljr/ofo or severely cut back on our usage. I, for one, visit as often as possible though that hasn't been nearly as often as before the change (due more to family/work reasons than anything else). Hopefully, as time goes on, the original ljr folks will migrate to ofo and make it better. In the mean time, we need to make sure that we are providing the same level of newbie-friendly advise and help that we gave to ljr. This will ensure that we can continue to be one of the best places on this planet to go to for Linux help.

To end this little post, I will say that ofo will likely continue on for quite sometime. It doesn't have the character of ljr but could if the right people get (re)involved. It has a lot of room to grow just like every other website that tries to be helpful and useful. Not an easy job in my mind, but one that is doable.

Here is to continued success, peter.

Cheers

No comments: