Monday, May 29, 2006

Multimedia Still A Disappointment

Why is it that multimedia is still such a disappointment under Linux? We have several really awesome programs that will do so many great things. I don't want this to be a diatribe against using Linux as a multimedia-capable OS. I am just venting my frustrations.


Goobox is a really good CD player and ripper. It is easily configured. It even allows you to download a picture of the CD cover. Great stuff. What makes me shake my head is that it doesn't play the files it is capable of ripping to. Want to play a FLAC, OGG, MP3 or other file? You won't be able to do so with Goobox. Now, I will say that I am quite capable of being wrong on this subject. Also, it likes to tag everything with Blues. And, I can't seem to get the cddb to work properly.


Rhythmbox is another awesome CD player/multi-format jukebox. It just won't rip files. I would, generally speaking, put it up against iTunes any day. I have used iTunes under Mac OS X and Windows and I have to say that Rhythmbox is very nearly identical. The best part is that with the right gstreamer plug-ins, you can play just about any format out there. All for free. You just can't say that about iTunes (or even Windows Media Player). One other shortfall...I retagged several mp3's with EasyTag and it won't show the new taggings. Not certain why not but it prefers to keep the old tags created when Goobox tagged the files.


Ripper X is a good CD ripper but I don't like the id3 tags that it gets from the cddb. I am really particular about how things are written and the one used by Ripper X isn't exactly to my liking. Of course, since I use EasyTag, changing the tags is no big deal. The config box that pops up when you press the config button has just about every possible encoder option available yet is not overwhelming. Spot on.


Of course, I would love to see a multimedia jukebox that has the id3 tag editing capabilities of EasyTag, the Goobox simplicity of selecting an encoder and it's bitrate (using a simple graphical slide), the advanced config options of RipperX, the ability to download cover art (and embed them within the mp3 like some other proprietary players can), with the overall iTunes kicking ability of Rhythmbox. Maybe one of the KDE-based jukeboxes has all of the features that I would love to have. Maybe I'll try them out next.


Here's to Linux, to Freedom, and to Choice!





No comments: