Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Health Care as Ministry

I just read an interesting article about some U.S. students graduating from a Cuban medical school. The intriguing thing about the story is that the students received a free education. They are completely debt-free. So, they can now start practicing (once they pass the boards) in areas that have few resources.

My vision for America is hardly unique. I envision an America that doesn't throw away her people, needlessly chasing after money. I'm not against money, per se, I like having a few bucks in my pocket. Makes me feel free. But, I also understand that I have an obligation to relieve the suffering of others. Since I am not a doctor, I do what I can. Sometimes, that means giving my money, or my time, or maybe something that I own but don't use/need. It sickens me to see how health care, in particular, has gotten so expensive.

Why do we chase after the next big drug breakthrough? I don't we do more research, real scientific research, into natural cures? Or maybe into what is referred to as Eastern medicine (you would be amazed at how easy it can be to "heal" yourself just by finding the right pressure point...don't believe me, well, the next time you hit your 'funny bone' remember that is a pressure point...or think about the times that your neck being out of whack has caused you to have a huge headache. It stands to reason that if something can cause pain in another area of the body you should be able to counter that pain by pressing another area of the body).

Of course, I think that God has designed an amazing world filled with amazing things that could cure us if only we would try. Maybe we should think about that for a bit, eh?

No comments: